Suspended Governor Siminalayi Fubara was conspicuously absent during the local government election held in Rivers State on Saturday.
This is despite earlier claims that a peace deal has been concluded between him and his political godfather, Nyesom Wike.
NATIONAL POST recalls that President Tinubu has met with Wike and Fubara on at least two occasions to reconcile both men.
After the last of such meetings, held late June this year, both men said peace had finally returned and that they had agreed to work together.
It was then surprising on Saturday as Fubara and his key allies stayed away during the local government election.
The election became necessary after those elected earlier under the Fubara administration were sacked.
Wike, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, regained firm grip of the Rivers political structure with the conduct of the election.
However, in what appears to be a sign that all was still not well, Fubara boycotted the election.
He was expected to cast his vote at ward 5, Opobo, in Opobo/Nkoro Local Government Area, but sources said he did not return to his community for the exercise.
Apart from the governor, his key men like Edison Ehie, the Chief of Staff to the Government House, Dr. Tammy Danagogo, the Secretary to the Government, the sacked 23 local government chairmen, and others, did not turn up for the election.
It was also gathered that members of the Simplified Movement, a socio-political organisation, loyal to Fubara, were not seen anywhere near the voting centres.
Meanwhile, Wike’s political structure in the state, now known as Renewed Hope Agenda, has expressed satisfaction with the process.
Sources hinted that the election had already been planned, that the poll would be won by candidates produced by Wike’s political structure in the All Progressives Congress, APC, and the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
According to Vanguard, 20 of the seats were given to the APC, under the leadership of Chief Tony Okocha, while three of the chairmanship seats were given to the PDP.
Meanwhile, Wike, on Saturday said the state of emergency imposed on the state will end by September 18.
He said this after voting during the council election, which he described as credible.